Interior of STA Church

Interior of STA Church
All Class Reunion Day, September 30, 2012. Photo courtesy: Dan Carr (Class of 1960)

Friday, October 5, 2012

Church Organ

A note from Richard Allison, Class of 1967 --
 
I didn't get the chance to tell you that I had a key to the choir loft from my days of playing the organ at St. Thomas that I found before the reunion [on September 30th]. 

Just for fun, I brought it along and sure enough it still worked. Too bad the old pipe organ isn't in playing condition, but at least it is still there which is not true for many other churches.

[I have] nothing but fond memories of the church, the people, the organ but my favorite was being pulled from school to substitute for a mass. Of course I'd always play 6 verses of the last song to prolong my classroom absence.

Richard, we would have loved to hear you play the organ!  Glad you kept the key for so long.  It must hold many memories for you.

STA alums: Did you know the Kilgen pipe organ was built for the Swiss pavilion of the 1933 Century of Progress?  In 1935, the organ  was purchased by STA's second pastor, Father Edward L. Dondanville, and installed at STA.

I guess we all keep a little bit of our past.  Thanks Richard for sharing your memory.

And, just in case you don't have your own personal key to the Choir Loft, here is what the organ looks like, sorry we don't have any photos of the pipes  ..............

Photo Courtesy: Dan Carr, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment