Interior of STA Church

Interior of STA Church
All Class Reunion Day, September 30, 2012. Photo courtesy: Dan Carr (Class of 1960)

Sunday, July 25, 2010

I knew I was an adult when . . . Our Classmates' Answers from 1985

In 1985, our classmates were asked to complete the sentence “I knew I was an adult when….”

In alphabetical order, our responses were:

·        “I got call waiting.” Lucy Amore
·        “My first child was born.” Roger Anderson
·        “Still working on that.” Patrick Arloff
·        “Sometime in Viet Nam.” Erwin Bircher
·        “My first apartment, getting married, having a baby.” Barbara Bird
·        “I paid my first bill.” Carol Broderick
·        “I had to start working for a living.” Arnold Carlstrom
·        “Not yet an adult.” Robert Collins
·        “One summer evening at the drive-in . . .” Dennis Czechanski
·        “I have doubts about being an adult.” Kathy Dobias
·        “I realized that I was not defined by my job.” Thomas Donzelli
·        “I got this invitation and realized that youth has slipped by and it’s been 25 years since the good old days.  Also, it doesn’t help when your kids ask if they had airplanes when you were a kid.” Donna Falco
·        “I received this reunion notice.” James Finn
·        “I went to the draft board.” James Fitzgerald
·        “I had bills.” Rita Flanagan
·        “A 13-year old asked me if I knew that Paul McCartney was in a band before WINGS.” Elizabeth Giangrego
·        “I can’t tell the truth on this one, so . . . when one of my employees called me ‘mam’.” Diane Hallinan
·        “I’m still not positive all of the time, but then my oldest son left home to go to college and it’s pretty hard to deny it.”  Kathleen Hughes
·        “I started receiving reunion letters.” Janet Jankuski
·        “I had to get a job in order to live.” Carole Keough
·        “My child started school.” Mary Kinahan
·        “I was on my own in military duty.” John Kivlehan
·        “My mother complemented me on my apartment and cooking when I was about 28 and when I bought my first house as a single woman.” Linda Kovach
·        “Never came to any certain point with this sudden realization.  However, I am more like a child all the time, learning to obey my Heavenly Father.” Lynn Kryzak
·        “Has no intention of growing-up.” Joan Laughlin
·        “I could decide for myself that God really didn’t care if the host touched my teeth.” Antoinette Malizia
·        “I started to recognize my ‘child’ in my relationships, feelings, etc. . .” Kathleen McClure
·        “I was rudely awakened from a sound sleep in a military barracks in Texas by an ugly drill instructor.  He was yelling obscenities and telling me to get my lazy ass out of bed or he’d kick it back to Chicago.” Thomas McGrath
·        “I am a victim of the Peter Pan syndrome – I won’t grow up.  Divorce helped a lot.” Mary Lynn McGuff
·        “My hair turned gray.” John McGuiness
·        “I had to iron my own clothes.” Elaine McIntyre
·        “I reached five feet tall.” Walter McNeela
·        “I was married.” Joan Nallen
·        “I hope I never find out.” Thomas O’Halleran
·        “Uncle Sam said ‘I want YOU!’” Robert Parry
·        “I returned to St. Thomas to coach football in the late ‘60s.” Raymond Redding
·        “I realized that I was in charge of my own destiny.” Walter Renaghan
·        “Food turned me on more than girls.” Donald Rio
·        “I received this announcement.” Patrick Roche
·        “Life became more complex.” Sharon Rochford
·        “My son got his driver’s permit.” Carol Ruscik
·        “Does not yet know he is an adult.” John Santoro
·        “I could decide how I would live my life without worrying what other people would think.” Maureen Sexton (Rigney)
·        “Adult? Adult? Am I an adult?” Georgeann Stewart
·        “On July 20, 1969.” Lauretta Tantillo
·        “I had to start paying my own bills out of my own pocket with my own money – oh, owe!” James Tracey
·        “I started looking for an ‘oldie’ station on the radio and when my son started driving.” Janice White

What question would you like to hear our classmates answer in 2010?

No comments:

Post a Comment